Tuesday, February 7, 2017

1991, Will T. Massey, cassette

Cassette Tuesday is one obscure performer Will T. Massey


I came across Will T. Massey on VH1 "I Ain't Here" video (I'll post
at end of this page). Massey sort of reminded me of John Cougar Mellencamp.
Produced by Roy Bittian of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band and Thom Panunzio.
Will's debut release was filled w/ struggling to make it in a one horse town.
This was one of these cassettes I liked a number of songs then as I played it more
I enjoyed the rest. Massey recorded a few more records but none as close to these 
great tunes. Will even has a sort of spoken word song "A Summertime Graveyard"
that is very haunting. Some other tunes that stand out for me are 

"It's Midnight All Day Long" I love the lyrics near the end as Massey sings
"..I was talking with my friend down at the record store,
I said I won't be hanging round here much more
It's been so long since I could really laugh
my future is written like an epitaph..."
(audio at the end of this page)


"You Take The Town", "Coffee Break",
"Bravery to Weep" just stand out for me as well.
I originally found the cassette in a bargain bin then later
purchased the CD. 

Some of the musicians who play on this recording are
of course Roy Bittian, Mike Campbell of Tom Petty,
Jim Keltner who plays w/ everybody. You'll find him listed in the credits 
on one of your own record collection.
Kenny Aronoff who's known play for sometime w/ John Cougar Mellencamp
and many other musicians.


All songs written by Will T. Massey



1991, Will T. Massey

Cover


Cover unfolded


Cover unfolded continued


Inside Cover unfolded


Inside Cover unfolded continued


Sticker on back of 
cassette case


Side 1


Side 2




"I Ain't Here



"It's Midnight All Day Long"







No comments:

Post a Comment